Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Seen Out and About in London: Jeremy Irons

On Notting Hill Gate today I was walking along, lost in my own thoughts but watching the pavement ahead to check no-one was going to bump into me.

Into my field of vision strode a great pair of trousers: kind of dark tan buckskin, obviously quite flared but with cord lacing in the front keeping the ankle-to-the-knee tight to the leg.

I loved the trousers and looked up to see what kind of guy might be wearing them. It was Jeremy Irons, looking shorter than I'd've imagined, but very cool.

As he walked past me, I didn't think about the many performances of his in films I've loved (Dead Ringers, The Merchant of Venice, The Mission, The French Lieutenant's Woman), nor his Oscar, nor his being married to the sex-bomb Sinead Cusack, nor his wooden performances in other films.


I thought about his co-presenting, with the immortal Brian Cant, the children's BBC TV show PlayAway, in the early 70's when I was a child.

I wondered if he ever has the theme tune running through his head, as I have now had all day?

All together now, Jeremy, everybody:

"It really doesn't matter
if it's raining or it's fine,
just as long as you've got time,
to P-L-A-Y,
Play Away-way,
Play Away, a-Play Away, Play Away, a-Play Away-way-way..."

2 comments:

Kelly said...

You're quite lucky to be living in an area where you can run into famous people. Very cool!!

Kyle said...

I could of sworn Angelina Jolie jogged past L-A and I in Hyde Park that day we went for a walk through London... Her hair in a pony tail under a ball cap, large sunglasses and a full jogging suit. The only thing that gave it away was those lips of hers. However, Lori-Anne reminds me that she was apparently pregnant at the time, and thus not her.

Well, at least I get to hang out back stage with Stuart McLean in October. Okay, that's apples to oranges, but hey, it's Kelowna.