At the moment the American husband of one of Amanda's erstwhile colleagues is staying with us. He describes himself as 'English at heart'. As such he's a member of the Conservative party, and has just voted in David Cameron as the new Tory leader!
He's visiting London looking for a grand piano to take back overseas.
The other night he went to see a play based on an Agatha Christie novel: And Then There Were None. He arrived back at the house saying, "Have I got a present for you guys!"
The present was the programme from his play . . .
I mean, really.
Neither of us are remotely interested in owning the programme of a play we're not interested in, even though he had some of the cast sign it.
We said, "Are you sure you want to give us this?"
"Oh yes. It means more to you than me."
How is that logically possible, considering we haven't even seen the play, and therefore the programme means nothing to us? Am I being unfair?
Or did he just put my back up? I said our farewell meal (let's review, we barely know him) had to be early because I wanted to watch Arsenal v Ajax in the Champions League, and he told me I should get my priorities straight . . .
Friday, December 09, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
can I have the programme? what an idiot.
priorities straight? PRIORITIES STRAIGHT?!!!
What he actually (or perhaps also) said when we questioned whether he wanted to part with the programme was, "Of course; what do I want with it?!"
Well, quite.
Evan, I'll bear your request in mind, but I'm considering offering it up on E-bay. After all, it boasts starlet Tara Fitzgerald's autograph. I'm sure it'll be a high-demand item.
Hey! I like Tara Fitzgerald! Don't give me the programme, though. Thanks.
Good example maybe of charity going awry
Can you get me a match programme from Arsenal v. Ajax with Tara Fitzgerald's signature on it?
No, but I suspect if you check out the Aussie film Sirens, you'll be able to rest content, having all the Tara Fitzgerald anyone might desire . . .
Post a Comment