Brad, Rod and I are attending a conference on myth at the University of Lille. We're taking the Mini and driving down, stopping off for various sights.
One thing I'm guaranteed with Rod and Brad is that there won't be any awkward silences in the conversation. Lists, anecdotes, memories, jokes, debates, six degrees, trivia, political arguments, grammatical arguments - I'm really looking forward to it.
Nearly the whole of a football road trip, to see England at Old Trafford with Torbjorn, Rod and Evan, was once taken up debating
- which is the most evil US state?
Here's the first few of some anecdote-starters this time:
- If you had a homicide amnesty for 5 people, who would they be?
- Whose presence in one of your dreams was the most inexplicable?
- Complete this sentence: “Once, when I was in a sauna …”
- Which is the stupidest sport?
- What movie was playing during your best during-a-movie sexual experience? [Just the movie]
6 comments:
o.k. so if there is a "best" in no. 5 then you must have a few to choose from? now i know what you really mean when you say you fancy going home to watch a movie with your lovely wife. the only movie i can remember is one of the star wars episodes. i was obviously extremely bored with the movie...
[from maria]
0. Texas.
1. Karl Rove and four of my students who must remain anonymous.
2. Sean Pertwee's.
3. "...M threw water on the coals without warning and steam burned my face."
4. Curling. That said, though, at the last Olympics I was smitten with the entire Russian Women's Curling Team. Something about a woman in spandex sliding on ice in a kneeling position shouting "Nyet nyet nyet nyet" stirs me strangely.
5. Withnail and I.
What was so great about the evil state debate was we needed to define evil.
Is it actively bad actions?
Or is it simply the absence of anything good?
1.
2.
3.
4.
5. Bambi. (A re-release, not the original screening).
Hey, we also did the standard countries of the world by continent, states and capitals, and counties in the UK on that trip, but my favorite was "name and place that motorway" - yep, I am an easy travel companion...
0. Rhode Island - just because it's a little bit little doesn't mean it's not a lot evil...
My approach was (for the record) that satan gets a lot of flack for the rock and roll and other "obviously" evil stuff - however THAT satan in my mind is relatively impotent and childish (though somewhat amusing, even as I am getting old).
It is the quiet evil stuff that is really scares me, the stuff we all struggle with like envy, bigotry, feelings of superiority and infallibility, jealousy, gluttony, lack of sympathy and compassion.
Just like nobody thinks of these things when they think of evil, nobody thinks of Rhode Island when they think of (evil) states - and that is what makes it so fiendishly evil (that, and a bunch of Illuminati related activity going on...).
1. I was struggling with this one cause I couldn't think of a single person that needed amnesty (even OJ got off the hook...), but now I think I understand... Its kind of meaningless since I am utterly pacifist and even need Kirsten to kill spiders for me (or at least remove them out of the bed), but I suppose the amnesties would be helpful against those men / women who would hold members of my family at knife point in the hypothetical pacifist argument of what I would do if a member of my family was held at knife point...
2. I never quite expliced (?) the oversize moose outside my parent's living room window in my recurrent childhood dream.
3. ...I had a blackout - never drink copious amounts of alcohol in a sauna... well, never drink copious amounts of alcohol!!!
4. As far as Olympic sports goes Wild Boar shooting is up there (but only in name - it is actually a very intelligent sport...), but there are other "sports" and of those there are simply too many to pick.
5. I flick the ear of people that speak during movies - they generally don't find that a turn on, and I have never had to flick your ear so it was a non-starter.
Man I wish I could have been there...
-Torbjorn
Forget about Evil but make the goodun's stronger train for the bible fight http://www.adultswim.com/games/biblefight/index.html
The state that has done the most harm to Americans, and is therefore most evil, is obviously Texas: Lyndon Johnson, George W. Bush, I rest my case.
But from a world perspective, California is probably more evil: porn, summer action blockbusters, Ronald Reagan.
Post a Comment