Hemingway once wrote a story in just six words, and is said to have called it his best work.
It was this:
"For sale: baby shoes, never worn."
Wired website asked sci-fi, fantasy, and horror writers from the realms of books, TV,movies, and games to write similar six-word stories. Here are my favourites:
Computer, did we bring batteries? Computer?
- Eileen Gunn
Machine. Unexpectedly, I’d invented a time
- Alan Moore
Longed for him. Got him. Shit.
- Margaret Atwood
It’s behind you! Hurry before it
- Rockne S. O’Bannon
Tick tock tick tock tick tick.
- Neal Stephenson
More can be found at wired.
Monday, April 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Six word stories are tough to crack. Hemmingway's best: likely. The rest: Shit. (well, I wanted to say "run of the mill", but had only one word left in my quota, "mediocre" didn't tie it in with Atwood, which I liked - except I prefer happy endings.
I read, I pondered, I commented
from maria: oh these are great. i like them. they're better than bloody haiku's. what do i have against haiku's? i don't know, may be the fact that primary school children in berkshire are probably composing them as i type.
I am not sure about maria's comment - six word stories are much easier than haikus.
here is a six workd story of childhood: ga ga ga ga ga ga
and here is a corresponding haiku:
ga, gaga gaga
ga ga gaga ga gaga
gaga gaga, ga
you could always make it about time and substitute "ga" with "tick" or "tock" as required
-torbjorn
"All we hear is
Torbjorn Gaga ..."
from maria: i didn't say haiku's were easier i just have an irrational dislike for them.
Post a Comment