Thursday, November 02, 2006

Seen Out and About in London: Alan Hansen

Living in London you tend to see a few famous people out and about. Here are some we've seen when they're off duty:

ALAN HANSEN
Known for:
Scathing football punditry, scarred forehead, winning various major trophies with Liverpool Football Club.

Where seen:
in Video City, on Notting Hill Gate, a couple of weeks before this year's World Cup began. This is the video store which arranges their films, not by genre, but by actor/director or content. Therefore they have sections called "Dances with Kevin" (Kevin Costner's oevre), "Pretentious Garbage" (Peter Greenaway and the like), "Pretend to have read the book" (Pride and Prejudice, Les Mis, French Lieutenant's Daughter etc).

I don't know which DVD Alan was renting with his family.

Whereas most famous people are often shorter than you'd think (see Jeremy Irons, Brian Blessed), I often find footballers tend to be bigger than you'd expect. Alan Hansen, Lee Dixon, Gary Lineker, they all seem to be average sized men, but they're big.


The only football player who was even smaller than you'd expect is Dennis Wise, as I learned when we were both staying (separately) in the same hotel in Leicester.

1 comment:

James said...

I ran into Kevin Keegan a few years ago. Turns out he's only 3'6".