Bless the Sunday Times for giving away the director's cut of Donnie Darko. What a strange, brilliant film it is, although Martin told me his love for it was severely undercut by listening to the director's commentary over the top of it. So have avoided doing that. 'Free' movie giveaways are an interesting phenomenon. Here's an essay on the Donnie Darko effect upon newspaper sales by Newsnight Review's Mark Lawson.
Just saw se7en again.
This was the film that saved me. I was about to buy my first house when someone got kicked to death in the house opposite. I had decided to go ahead and buy this fantastic deal anyway, despite this, when I went to see Se7en. Driving back, discussing the film and lamenting why humans are so evil to each other, I decided NOT to buy the house.

After all, why was it such a good deal...?
Such a good move to pull out. A few weeks later my team played 5 a Side against the team from the pub on that road. One of them punched me in the face, and yea, I rejoiced, because I hadn't inadvertently become his neighbour.
Read a great essay repudiating the idea that the film is nihilistic. No matter what happens in the plot of the film, whose philosophy prevails? The Morgan Freeman character, or the Brad Pitt character?
4 comments:
from Maria: either way are we all going to see the new one or what?
Well, as my friend the Dude says: "They are nihilists man, they believe in nothing!"
And as Walter says: 'Nihilists! I mean, say what you like about the tenets of National Socialism, Dude, at least it's an ethos."
To my great regret, Maria, we still don't have a regular film night.
Se7en was the movie that scared me... I didn't realise how much I knew about crime etc until I kept working out the storyline way before it unfolded (e.g. the fingerprints behind the picture as soon as they found them, the journalist, wife, etc). Perhaps I've read one too many Patricia Cornwells! I then decided that I no longer wanted to be 'entertained' by sheer evilness and opted for a lot lighter stuff at the movies.
Having said that, my love for seeing crimes solved has me addicted to CSI (all the different versions but Vegas is still def the best), as well as Forensic Detectives and FBI Files on Discovery Channel. And I wouldn't say no whenever an episode of Bones, Cold Case, Karen Sisco or Missing happens to be on the tele.
Post a Comment