I'd always thought of him as Amanda's 10-yr-old nephew. But of course he's my 10-yr-old nephew as well.
"Star Wars is awesome!"
Our main point of intersection has, of course, a built-in generation gap.
"George Lucas is so cool!"
I think back to my most recent previous conversation about Star Wars, in Washington DC, where I ended up shouting far too loudly, in public, that "George Lucas is a complete *****"
I decide not to take that tack with the youth, but to try to explain WHY the prequels are unadulterated pants of the highest order.
"My favourite is Jar-Jar!"
Unfortunately, while explaining vociferously just why I think Jar-Jar Binks is an idiot, I manage to PAY for our groceries, and then drive off WITHOUT them.
Thus I was later also able to explain to him the concept of 'irony.'
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I might not be best placed to comment since I think all of Star Wars is pants, but I suppose any teaching opportunity is a good teaching opportunity
Star Wars, Schmar Wars. I taught him how to E-BAY.
At least you didn't drive off without my boy!!! Oh, and he is now "journaling" Star Wars Comic book you bought him. Let's see what the teacher thinks of Star Wars!!! I am afraid she will not be too keen on the idea. What should our arguments be?
Didn't mean to be anonymous. This is your m-in-l speaking!!
Becky
I still get confused when my sons talk about Episode 1 and 3. In my mind those are "Star Wars" and "Return of the Jedi," not "The Phantom Menace" and "Revenge of the Sith."
Saw the cartoon movie with the boys last weekend and had a fun time. Weren't a lot of moms in the audience, I noticed. Jonah tells me he wants to be a Jedi when he grows up.
Post a Comment