Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Sarcasm doesn't belong on YouTube

Being a regular watcher of YouTube means I can get obsessed. However, I comfort myself with the notion that it is partly research. Discussions about where power resides, how information is controlled, and the current erosion of privacy because of the internet, regularly crop up in my Communications, Rhetoric and Theory classes.

My interest was piqued by this brilliant couplet:

Bryony/PaperLilly's video about sarcasm got over 8,000 comments and has been viewed by over half a million.

Many of the comments were vicious, personal and vitriolic. She reads an edited selection of them, which I don't want to link to, called RE: Hater Comments from the Sarcasm video. She was rather unnerved by the response. Here's her musing about it on What have I done?

How would I dress these up for class discussion if we weren't at the end of the semester? Questions of national identity, linguistics, performance?

Or are they simply funny?

No comments: