Simon Jenkins, in the Guardian, on the decline of newspapers in Britain vs the USA. He reckons America's newspapers may be defeated by the internet, but Britain's probably won't be. "America's serious newspapers are declining because they are dull, worthy and uncompetitive."
Why the difference? Jenkins says the same thing could have happened to British newpapers if the Fox media baron Rupert Murdoch had not defeated the print unions and moved the production base to Wapping in London. This allowed newspapers to be more competitive for cheaper.
I know I find American newspapers less interesting, but maybe that's just because I'm used to British ones? Certainly I enjoy reading the New York Times online much more than reading a physical version of the New York Times, because I can just target the articles I will be interested in.
Friday, January 06, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Maybe the reason you don't like certain papers is because they just regurgitate the same old stories in different forms.
Post a Comment